April’s “Recipe of the Month” was chosen for two reason: flavorful & quick!
With only 8 ingredients it is great as a sandwich, eaten with crackers, or as a stand alone meal.
- Curry Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ yellow onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (Madras, if you can find it)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I recommend Hellman’s)
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney or apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- *For weeknight dinner or when you’re in a hurry, skip this step and use leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken.
These ingredients are simple and by using a rotisserie chicken you save a ton of time.
We used Medium Yellow Curry Powder from the local spice shop Savory Spice and we used LaCruz Mango Chutney which is a local product from Boulder.
Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and sauté 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft (don’t let it brown)
Add curry powder to the skillet and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, until fragrant. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
When curry and onions are cooled, mix with mayonnaise, chutney (or preserves), lime juice and salt in a small bowl. (can be stored, covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Toss chicken with curried mayonnaise. Season with salt, to taste. (can be made a day ahead)
Next time: If we were to make again we would consider adding raisins or currants for a hint of sweetness and celery for some crunch.
We found this recipe on Pinterest, see link below to find the original recipe: